CITIZENS CAMPAIGN FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
Tell Congress You Want Clean Air
Say NO to H.R. 2401 – the Clean Air Train Wreck!
This week, the House of Representatives will vote on the TRAIN Act (H.R. 2401). Disguised as an accountability measure, this act would cripple the EPA's ability to protect our air through the Clean Air Act. Regularly, the EPA must review rules such as ambient air quality standards, review pollution controls for power plants and, of course, evaluate which new pollutants must be regulated under the Clean Air Act. The House of Representatives is continuing its unprecedented assault on our right to a clean environment by attempting to stop rules that would prevent a range of pollutants, including toxic mercury, from entering our environment. Call your Congressional representatives today, and tell them clean air is a necessity, not a luxury!
For 40 years the Clean Air Act has been a promise to all Americans that we have a right to breathe clean air. Help us stop the continued assault on our right to clean air. EPA estimates that, for every dollar spent on reducing pollution, Americans will see $5-$13 in health benefits! One of the Clean Air rules under attack would:
- Reduce mercury emissions from power plants 91% in four years.
- Significantly reduce emissions of arsenic, chromium, nickel, and acid gases, including hydrogen chloride (HCl) and hydrogen fluoride (HF). These toxic air pollutants, also known as hazardous air pollutants or air toxics, are known to cause or suspected of causing cancer and other serious health effects.
- Annually avoid up to 17,000 premature deaths, 11,000 heart attacks, 120,000 asthma attacks, and 12,200 hospital and emergency room visits.
- Provide estimated health benefits of up to $140 billion due to reduced exposure to fine particulates.
- Avoid 850,000 days of missed work due to illness each year.
- Provide employment by supporting both short-term construction jobs and long-term utility jobs totaling between 28,000 and 158,000.
Tell Congress we deserve clean air - Stop the Clean Air Train Wreck!
How you can help:
Call or email your representative in the U.S. House and both of your U.S. senators. Tell them you oppose the TRAIN Act (H.R. 2401), and urge them to vote NO!
Phone call / Email tips:
- Your name and where you live.
- You and your family want clean air now!
- You oppose the TRAIN Act (H.R. 2401) and urge your representative/senator to vote NO!
Please call or email:
And, please remember to drop us a quick email letting us know you took action.
Read CCE's Memo of Opposition on H.R. 2401.
Learn more about CCE's campaign to stop toxic mercury pollution.
Thank you for taking action. Together we make a difference!
YOUR FRIENDS AT CCE