New York State is currently in the process of developing an energy plan that will help guide our state's energy decisions for years to come. This is a critical time to weigh in and demand that NYS move toward a renewable energy future, while making dirty, polluting fossil fuels a thing of the past.
The draft NYS Energy Plan was recently released for public review and comment. While the draft plan does take some steps in the right direction by calling for reductions in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and more renewable energy development, it does not go far enough. To fight climate change, reduce harmful fossil fuel pollution, and fully realize New York's renewable energy potential, the plan must set more aggressive goals, while establishing interim targets that will ensure the long-term goals are achieved.
There are two ways that you can help ensure a clean energy future for New York:
- Submit written comments. Use the tips below to quickly and easily submit a comment through the online form.
- Attend one of the upcoming public hearings (you can speak or just come to show your support) being held in Albany (2/18), Brooklyn (2/19), Manhattan (2/20), Buffalo (2/25), Long Island (3/3), and Syracuse (3/6). Check for times and locations.
Tips for three critical comments:
- Set long-term goals for increased renewable energy development (50% renewable energy by the year 2025) and increased energy efficiency (20% by the year 2025).
- Ensure that New York State meets its goal to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions 80% by 2050. To help fight climate change and to achieve this important goal, the final plan should:
- Set near-term and mid-term targets for GHG emissions reductions, to ensure that NY is on the path to meet the 80% by 2050 goal.
- Reduce the actual emissions of all GHG, not just carbon dioxide.
- Prioritize the development of clean, renewable energy:
- This includes offshore wind, land-based wind, solar, and geothermal.
- This must not include dirty energy, such as fracked gas, coal, or nuclear power.
Thank you for taking action. Together we make a difference!
All of Us at CCE