SOURCE:
https://www.thecity.nyc/2025/12/22/trump-empire-sunrise-wind-national-security-energy/
by Samantha Maldonado - December 22, 2025
The Trump administration on Monday renewed their campaign against two offshore wind projects in New York waters.
Citing unspecified national security risks, the U.S. Department of the Interior “paused” the leases for the Empire Wind and Sunrise Wind projects, both already under construction, plus three additional major offshore wind projects in other states.
“Today’s action addresses emerging national security risks, including the rapid evolution of the relevant adversary technologies, and the vulnerabilities created by large-scale offshore wind projects with proximity near our east coast population centers,” Secretary of the Interior Doug Burgum said in a statement.
The press release by DOI also mentioned government reports that found towers and turbine blades can interfere with radar.
Gov. Kathy Hochul lambasted the federal government’s order, which she said jeopardized thousands of jobs and billions of dollars in investments.
“I just want the Trump administration to know the widespread effect this is going to have on our economy, on people’s jobs, the ability to support their families,” she said Monday at an unrelated press conference in Albany. “It’s just another attack on a place like New York that is working so hard to have an all-the-above approach so I can keep the lights on.”
She questioned the DOI’s definition of national security, saying “reducing our reliability on foreign energy, like foreign oil, is a step toward our own energy future, and that’s why creating our own renewable energy like offshore wind is an important part of our national security.”
New York officials and experts have said offshore wind is key to ensure energy reliability for New York City by bringing large amounts of renewable power to a place that’s not conducive to building big energy projects. Absent Empire Wind and a transmission project that would carry hydropower from Canada, New York City’s grid is expected to face reliability challenges as soon as next summer — meaning possible blackouts or brownouts in times of high demand for electricity.
Sunrise Wind, by Danish developer Orsted, and Empire Wind, by the Norwegian developer Equinor, are projected to generate together enough power for about a million homes when they are in operation, which had been expected in 2027.
In April, the Trump DOI issued a stop-work order on Empire Wind’s construction. Hochul reportedly struck a deal with Trump to save the project by reviving a thrice-rejected gas pipeline, which her administration approved in November.
New York Attorney General Letitia James, along with 17 other states, also sued the Trump administration in response to the stop-work order. A federal judge decided in the state’s favor earlier this month.
It’s possible James could head to court once again in response to the latest federal action. In a social media post, Hochul indicated New York is “working with other impacted states to review every available option to get these projects back on track.”
The Monday pause also affected three other projects off the coasts of Massachusetts, Virginia, Connecticut and Rhode Island.
Equinor spokesperson David Schoetz said the company is “evaluating the order and seeking further information from the federal government.”
On Friday, Equinor sent an update on Empire Wind’s progress, noting that workers had laid rock, installed monopiles and begun laying cables in the water. “These milestones mark major progress toward delivering renewable energy to New York City’s grid,” the update stated.
In a release, Orstead indicated it would suspend its construction activities and is “evaluating all options to resolve the matter expeditiously.” The company’s latest update on Sunrise Wind specified work was moving forward on the land side.
Offshore wind backers also criticized the federal government’s latest attempt to kill the offshore wind projects.
“Trump’s false claim that offshore is a threat to national security is like saying doctors are a threat to our healthcare system,” Adrienne Esposito, Executive Director of Citizens Campaign for the Environment, said in a statement that referred to Trump as The Grinch. “There is no sane justification for stopping these 5 wind projects, other than cruel and unusual punishment to the hard-working employees and to the American public who want clean air and stable electric rates.”
“These delays put both workers and energy security at risk, and are guaranteed to raise our electric rates. This is no time to halt the progress the offshore wind industry has already made,” said Marguerite Wells, Executive Director of the trade group Alliance for Clean Energy New York.

