ALBANY, N.Y. (NEXSTAR) — New York’s Public Service Commission decided on Thursday to stop the project that would bring offshore wind power to New York City. They said that their decision would protect New Yorkers from paying for expensive power lines that might not be needed soon.
From taxes to health care to immigration, Trump's 'big, beautiful bill' will have big impact on Long Island
WASHINGTON — Halfway through his first year back in office, President Donald Trump has the green light from the Republican-majority Congress to move ahead on major parts of his domestic agenda.
The sprawling budget bill Congress passed this week, which Trump signed into law at a July Fourth White House ceremony, will touch Long Island in a variety of ways — from the economy to the environment, from health care access to immigration enforcement — and will be at the center of next year’s midterm elections, said Lawrence Levy, executive dean of Hofstra University’s National Center for Suburban Studies.
Environmentalists wary as business, labor praise Hochul’s nuclear plan
Community Leaders Warn of Destructive Impacts of Trump’s ‘Big Beautiful Bill’
Leaders of Long Island’s health care, social service organizations and environmental groups warned of the damaging impacts to lives “of neighbors, family, community” as a result of the funding cuts in the Republican budget bill (known as Trump’s “Big Beautiful Bill”) that passed the House in the middle of the night by a single vote. The bill, while slashing Medicaid, SNAP, clean energy projects and raising costs, delivers the needless tax cuts to the wealthiest, and will explode the national debt by $3.3 trillion.
As the Democrats on the Ways and Means Committee reported, the “GOP Tax Scam” cuts nearly $1 trillion from the health care system – effectively chipping away if not repealing entirely the Affordable Care Act - eliminating health coverage for at least 13.7 million Americans including 1.5 million New Yorkers.
Trump Reverses Wind Energy Orders; Empire Project Goes Forward Off LI
LONG BEACH, NY — The Empire Wind 1 offshore wind project will go forward off the southern coast of Long Beach and Jones Beach.
“I am grateful to President Trump and Secretary Burgum for lifting the stop-work order on Empire Wind 1 which will allow this transformative clean energy project to move forward as planned," said Doreen Harris, President and CEO of New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA).
Trump officials allow massive New York offshore wind project to restart
The administration reversed course and will allow the Empire Wind project to proceed after lobbying by New York Gov. Kathy Hochul and Norwegian energy firm Equinor.
The Trump administration lifted the stop-work order on a major wind farm off the coast of New York on Monday, according to a statement by New York Gov. Kathy Hochul (D), following direct appeals she made to the president.
Environmental advocates rally for offshore wind project
Trump Administration Pushing to Block Renewable Energy Projects
The administration of Donald Trump is making an unbridled push to block renewable energy projects—including last week halting the placement of 54 wind turbines in the ocean south of Long Island, New York—and is pushing fossil fuels, among them coal. The burning of fossil fuels is the leading cause of climate change. Trump has repeatedly called climate change a “hoax.”
Wind Worries: Will Sunrise Wind Farm Project Get Cancelled Next?
The Trump administration’s stop work order blocking construction of the Empire Wind 1 offshore wind project off the coast of Long Beach raised concerns over the fate of Sunrise Wind off Montauk.
U.S. Interior Secretary Doug Burgum’s order to stop work on Empire Wind 1’s 54 turbines on April 16 triggered protests in Nassau County as Gov. Kathy Hochul vowed to reverse the decision. But given the unpredictable nature of President Donald Trump, it remained an open question if the Sunrise Wind project might be next on the chopping block.
The 2025 Trailblazers in Clean Energy
Adrienne Esposito, the founder and longtime leader of Citizens Campaign for the Environment, has been launching new coalitions to further her environmental cause. One is Wind Works New York, whose diverse members are transitioning from fossil fuels to renewable energy. Another is the New York Clean Water Coalition, made up of water suppliers, wastewater treatment operators and environmental groups advocating for funding to upgrade sewage and drinking water infrastructure. Late last year, Esposito criticized the governor’s veto of the state Horseshoe Crab Protection Act, arguing that the species is subject to local extinction.
Future of offshore wind power on LI uncertain following Trump administration order
Earth Day 2025 had Long Islanders picking up beach trash and worrying about the future
Earth Day Rally In Support Of LI Offshore Wind Project
Advocates rally in Mineola to save Long Island 's Empire Wind 1 offshore wind project
Advocates gathered on the front lawn of the Theodore Roosevelt Executive and Legislative Building for an Earth Day rally to challenge recent federal actions that have halted the Empire Wind 1 offshore wind project.
Organizations present included Citizens Campaign for the Environment, Renewable Energy Long Island, the New York League of Conservation Voters, Natural Resource Defense Council, Local Union 3 IBEW, Local Union 806, Local Union 290, Climate Jobs New York, the National Wildlife Federation, the Sierra Club Long Island group, All our Energy, the Long Island Progressive Coalition, Minority Millennials and Vision Long Island
An Exciting Game-Changer for Offshore Wind – Trump Administration Lifts Stop-Work Order on Empire Wind Allowing Construction to Continue.
Governor Hochul’s actions praised for providing massive victory for clean air, renewable energy and good union jobs.
DATE: Monday, May 19, 2025
CONTACT: Adrienne Esposito, Executive Director, 631-384-1378, aesposito@citizenscampaign.org
Farmingdale, NY – Last month, the Trump Administration announced a stop work order on Empire Wind 1 – the offshore wind farm being built off the coast of Long Beach which would have powered 500,000 homes in NYC. The project was already under construction, creating significant investment in local communities and hundreds of union jobs in support of the growing “wind-ustry” in NY. In response, New York State along with environmental and labor groups have pushed the Administration to reverse the decision and allow Empire Wind to go ahead. The Trump Administration has now lifted the stop-work order. This means New Yorkers will still benefit from green jobs, NY communities will have cleaner air, and we will continue to build clean domestic energy off our coast.
Adrienne Esposito, Executive Director for Citizens Campaign for the Environment, issued the following statement.
“Empire Wind make a comeback – may the wind force be with you! We are thrilled and I may do a cartwheel! This is cause for celebration and signifies that when all parties come together to discuss important issues that common ground can be reached. This is a huge milestone in the fight for clean energy, clean air and a diversified energy plan. The Empire Wind project provides a significant boost to our emerging ‘wind-ustry’ and our clean energy future. This is a crucial project that benefits everyday New Yorkers by creating good jobs, bolsters the local economy, advances domestic energy, reduces air pollution, and protects public health. We are grateful to all who were involved including Governor Hochul and Congressman Garbarino.”
Trump administration stops wind project near coast of Long Island
A major wind farm project slated to begin off the coast of Long Island that is said to power 500,000 homes was halted after an order from U.S. Secretary of the Interior Doug Burgum.
Burgum directed the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Wednesday to halt construction on Empire Wind, a fully-permitted project. He called for further review, saying the Biden administration rushed the approval.
Trump administration orders halt to Long Island offshore wind project
U.S. Secretary of the Interior Doug Burgum has ordered a halt to an offshore wind project off the coast of Long Island, making good on an executive order from President Donald Trump in January that put a moratorium on new or upcoming offshore wind projects.
Students take action at youth climate summit at Stony Brook University
Approximately 300 students from 17 local high schools and at least one middle school gathered April 4 for the first Long Island Youth Climate Summit at Stony Brook University. Organized by Students for Climate Action and Renewable Energy Long Island, the event centered on environmental education and advocacy, with students encouraged to get involved with grassroots.
EPA Chief Lee Zeldin addresses LI environmental concerns
New York's wind farms on Long Island face uncertainty after President Trump halts lease sales, permits
Smith Point's Park Beach is where offshore wind energy will soon come ashore. Crews there are laying cables for New York's second wind farm with 84 turbines 30 miles off Montauk.
"We have this untapped renewable resource, the wind... this is going to power millions of homes... with almost zero fossil fuel use," Melissa Parrot, executive director of Renewable Energy Long Island said. "The planet is at sake. We see the glaciers melting... you see the storms, you see the floods... and the number one way to curb climate change is top stop our CO2 output, which is fossil fuel use."